Selecting The Correct Lintel
5 Things You Need to Know When Selecting a Steel Lintel
1. The wall construction
External Solid Wall
Example: Cavity Wall Construction
You will need to know:
A – Outer Leaf = 102mm Brick
B – Cavity = 100mm
C – Inner Leaf = 100mm Block
2. The length of the lintel
How wide is the structural opening?
1. Measure the size of the structural opening i.e. the clear span between the masonry supports.
2. Add 150mm minimum bearing to each end.
Example lintel length = 150 + 1800 + 150 = 2100mm
3. The load to be supported by the lintel
The load on a lintel comes from:
2. Roof Loads: Truss/Attic/Cut/…
3. Floor Loads: Joists/Slabs/…
4. Live Loads: Residential use/ Commercial use/ Industrial use
5. Combination of above
Note: If you are not skilled in calculation loads please contact our Technical Team.
4. The load ratio between the inner and outer leaves of the cavity wall
Load ratio 3:1
Up to 75% of the load is on the Inner Leaf
Load ratio 19:1
Up to 95% of the load is on the Inner Leaf
Load / Ratio Calculation: